Hosts: The Gneech, Graveyard Greg, Buck Turner
- Welcome and host intros
- Short Story Headlines
- Greg: Terribleminds: Flash Fiction Challenge: Revenge of the Sub-Genre Mash-Up!
- Gneech: Chronicle of Higher Education: “Blackwell on Writing: The Long and Very Short of It”
- Greg: Open Culture: Neil Gaiman’s Free Short Stories and New Year’s Wishes
- Buck: New York Times Sunday Book Review: The Facebook Auteur
- All of the Above: Los Angeles Times: 25 Literary Resolutions for 2012. What’s Yours?
- Listener Feedback
Earlier tonight I randomly remembered a short story I had read when I was a teenager. I don’t recall whether it was in High School or even Junior High School, but this story had been in my English textbook. I did not recall the name of the story or the author, but thanks to Google I was able to find it based on the vague search terms of “short story train station time travel”.
Turns out the story I was thinking of is “The Third Level” by Jack Finney. This is apparently quite a well-known story of his, but he is more known for writing the original novel “The Body Snatchers” which the Invasion of the Body Snatchers film was based upon.
I was just wondering if any of the Geeks had read this short story or any of Finney’s other work. I’d be interested to hear some commentary on him.
If you haven’t read it, here is the site where I found the story online: http://homepage.mac.com/cssfan/jackfinney/col501007036.htm
Jack Finney’s page on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Finney
Thanks and keep up the great work on the show,
- Gneech: “The Third Level,” by Jack Finney
- Greg: ”See the Woman” by Lawrence Block (from L.A. Noire: The Collected Stories)
- Buck: The Smell of Orange Groves by Lavie Tindhar from Clarkesworld Magazine issue 62, Nov 2011
THE BLOODY PEN OF THE RANTING EDITOR (24:04)
- Buck Turner: Dialogue: Or a non-exhaustive list of things not to do when writing conversations between characters.
- Gneech: Arclight Adventures launches January 9th; Further Confusion, Jan 12-16
- Greg: Further Confusion, Jan 12-16 (FANG 4! Welcome to Cappuccinos! Pestering the Gneech!), and what eBooks should I buy on Amazon?
- Buck: Further Confusion: Bandwagons and jumping on them.
- Call for audience participation, suggestions, news items, general plugs
- Would you like to be a guest? Do you have a project to plug?
- site comments
- Sponsor us!
- Subscribe to us!
- Contact us!
- Come back in three weeks! Next show January 5.
This Week’s Music
- Regular intro and outro: “The Third Man Theme” by Rat City Brass, used by permission.
- Courtesy of The Podsafe Music Network: “Journey B” by DanielReal2K, “Flamenco” by B-Sea Surfers, “Naked Under Leather” by Rubber Band Banjo, “Banjo Roids” by ATL Producers, “Honey Cotton” by Alex Cebe, “Chilling Loop” by Upstairs, “Spooky Fractal Magic” by Embertime, “Turn It Up” by Danny Weis, “My Moon” by PJ73, and “Banjo Tango” by Cynthia Sayer.
- Courtesy of http://freemusicarchive.org: “Songe D’Automne” by Latché Swing, “Rythme Gitan” by Latché Swing, “Jovanko” by the Underscore Orchestra, and“Chosen Kale Mazel Tov” by the Underscore Orkestra.